domingo, 12 de septiembre de 2010

The Road: The Movie

I was at the dentist the other day, trying to read but got distracted with I don't remember what. "The movie looks amazing doesn't it?" The dentist realized I didn't know what she was talking about so she glanced at the book and then back at me. Oh, The Road... Wow, there's a movie?
Naturally, fist thing I do when I get home? Go on youtube and watch the trailer.

(Just in case you haven't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbLgszfXTAY )

Turns out I'm a little outdated. The movie's almost a year old. Anyways, I kept reading and then I started to wonder how the movie would show some of the things described in the book. From the trailer, it looks like the movie does a good job in impersonating the man, and portraying him as a hopeful and perseverant human being. But how did they characterize things like the man washing the brains out of his son's hair or them finding all those people screaming for help?

They probably kept it PG... I think that's what I don't like about books turned into movies.
There's a certain liberty when you read a book, the author provides you with a certain details but lets you connect the dots between all the descriptions given. In a movie, you are constrained to the images. The only reality is the one they show you. This not only limits the watchers, it also limits the directors and movie makers. Sometimes some characterizations are only allowed in the minds of people. Making images out of them may be offensive to some. I think some details should be brought to life by imagination only.

I'm still dying to see the movie though.

I know we don't do this very often, if you've watched the movie please comment. Did you think it did a good job in capturing the essence of the book? (Don't give away the ending!)

1 comentario: