sábado, 13 de noviembre de 2010

Women Must

We are gathered here today to discuss and evaluate Miss Elizabeth Bennett's capacity of being an accomplished woman. Before we proceed on such a delicate subject, let's define what an accomplished woman is and does. Mr. Bingley, what do you have to say about the subject?

All young ladies are impressively accomplished. Their patience is admirable. "They all paint tables, cover screens, and net purses. I scarcely know anyone who cannot do all this." (p. 28)

Painting tables, covering screens, or netting purses is a task any regular woman can do. Such a lady has no extraordinary thing to speak on her behalf. An accomplished woman, besides doing the tasks mentioned before, must greatly surpass what is expected from her. "A woman must have a thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing, all the modern languages to deserve the word; and besides all this, she must possess a certain air and manner of walking, the tone of her voice, her address and expressions, or the word will be but half deserved." (p.29)

If I may add Miss Bingley, "to all this she must yet add something more substantial, in the improvement of her mind by extensive reading." (p.29)

You're not describing an accomplished woman Mr. Darcy, you're describing an impossible one!

Miss Bennett, you doubt the capacities of your own kind. What a woman!

Mr. Darcy, I beg you not talk of my daughter in such a way. My daughter Lizzy, I feel confident to say, has more "quickness" than her other sisters. All of them are rather "silly", but Liz has something about her that makes her different.

I agree with you, Mr. Bennett. Miss Elizabeth certainly has something that makes her different. That something lies in her capacity to knock on a door with her "hair so untidy", and her "petticoat six inches deep in mud." I dare to say no other women in the country would make such a "blowsy" appearance.

There are women of women, Miss Bingley. Every young lady carries with her the capacity of being an accomplished woman. This is all a very personal manner. And I believe we should intrude no more.

I ask you, Mr. Bennett, allow me to conclude. I find Elizabeth's actions to "show an affection for her sister that is very pleasing." (p.26) This loyal demonstration towards her sibling starts making of her an accomplished woman. Besides this fact, and I'm sure Mr. Darcy will agree with me, Ms. Bennett possesses a wonderful quality. Her deep fond of books, talks greatly on her behalf.

Your comment is very well appreciated Mr. Bingley. But as I said, let us leave the subject alone.

2 comentarios:

  1. What do you think is an accomplished woman? Does it have anything to do with what her abilities are, or what she has accomplished (hence, the word)? For instance, could Mother Teresa, who lacked a "thorough knowledge of music, singing, drawing, dancing, all the modern languages", for all I know, be considered accomplished?

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I need a sort of clarification. Clearly, you start this blog with common ceremonial language. Why? I think it's beacue by Darcy commenting on Elizabeth he is building up to an obvious proposal at the end. What this your intention.

    ResponderEliminar