domingo, 28 de noviembre de 2010

Focusing On A Deeper Happiness

Insightful.

Elizabeth:

The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all

human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of merit or sense. I have met with two instances lately, one I will not mention; the other is Charlotte's marriage. "My dear Lizzy, do not give way to such feelings as these. They will ruin your happiness. "


"You shall not, for the sake of one individual, change the meaning of principle

and integrity, nor endeavour to persuade yourself or me, that selfishness is prudence,

and insensibility of danger security for happiness."


Caring for a friend's happiness:


"You persist, then, in supposing his sisters influence him?"

"Yes, in conjunction with his friend."

"I cannot believe it. Why should they try to influence him? They can only wish his

happiness; and if he is attached to me, no other woman can secure it."

"Your first position is false. They may wish many things besides his happiness; they

may wish his increase of wealth and consequence; they may wish him to marry a girl

who has all the importance of money, great connections, and pride."



Long lost happiness:

Her father, captivated by youth and beauty, and that appearance of good humour which youth and

beauty generally give, had married a woman whose weak understanding and illiberal mind had very early in their marriage put an end to all real affection for her. Respect, esteem, and confidence had vanished for ever; and all his views of domestic happiness were overthrown.


True happiness:


"Jane, I congratulate you. You will be a very happy woman."


"You are a good girl;" he replied, "and I have great pleasure in thinking you will be

so happily settled. I have not a doubt of your doing very well together. Your tempers

are by no means unlike. You are each of you so complying, that nothing will ever be

resolved on; so easy, that every servant will cheat you; and so generous, that you will

always exceed your income."


Maybe compare Mr. Bennett's "happiness" with his daughters. Or compare the views of happiness of each of the characters.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario